Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Extracting the piss

I dropped into a new homebrew shop over the weekend - Quality Homebrew in Slacks Creek. I wasn't really sure what I wanted to brew so I thought I'd have a chat with the guys and see if they could suggest something different for me. After a couple of questions they beckoned me out the back into the shop storage area and pulled out a couple of kegs of their own beer that they thought I might be interested in. They didn't offer me samples, they gave me schooners. We chatted about beer & brewing as we drank, although sometimes one of them nipped out to attend to the shop, and at one point a friend of theirs dropped by and joined in for a chat about golf. It was a trifle bizarre but very welcoming.

One of the beers was a Stone & Wood Pacific Ale clone and I decided it would be nice to have something as crisp and clean to hand for post-lawn mowing moments. But when I got the recipe it was based on pre-hopped canned extract, the sort of thing that beginner brewers use. I was a bit taken aback but as Danny (the brewer) pointed out, I liked the beer and why do the work if you don't have to? And after all I did go in looking for something different...

So here's the recipe, with thanks to Danny for the original

1 can Coopers pre-hopped Mexican Cerveza mix
1 can Coopers wheat malt extract
 Mix the two cans in a pan with hot water
Add 20g Galaxy hops in a hop bag or tied up cheesecloth (I also added 20g Amarillo as it was kicking around the fridge)
 Float the hops in the wort for 20 mins - I kept the heat on but didn't get anywhere near the boil
 Tip the whole lot in a fermentor, top up to 23litres and add S-05 American Ale yeast
After the initial fermentation dies down add an extra 30g of Galaxy hops in another hop bag, and then ferment out in the usual way.

There's not a lot of fermentables in this so it will probably not even hit 5% by volume, and I'm hoping the extract will give a nice clean taste that will let the hops do their thing. It will be interesting to see how it turns out and if the beer still has that characteristic 'Mike's home brew' taste.....
 

3 comments:

  1. If you want to try something different, you could always brew something from the Brassica family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see if Dad has any of my Christmas Brussel Sprout beer left from a few years ago, but I doubt it. It's not a keeper :)

      Delete
  2. Where's my goodie box? You've been quite negligent of late. I'm disappointed.

    ReplyDelete