Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Minimalist shoes

It's been a while since I talked about barefoot running, partly because I think I tried to do too much too quickly and managed to give myself a mild stress fracture in my left foot. Injury free? My foot *arf*. But after my last post, Gordy reminded me of this video . It reminded me that I'm totally into barefoot running

From left to right:-

Invisible shoes, you buy them as a kit and after a year they remain unmade

My trusty Nike Frees - about 5 years old. Would not be considered minimalist by most barefoot runners but are very comfy and have been around the world with me

Vibram 5-finger KSOs - I should wear these more often as they feel really good to walk in, but it's hard being one of THOSE people. Plus they slap loudly when I run

Inov8 f lite 195s - my new buy. They're very light (395g for the pair) so they'll be good to travel with, and a 3mm sole and a 3mm heel to sole drop means there's a little more structure than the Vibrams. They don't scream 'look at me' when I wear them around, and on a short run last night they felt good but still allowed me to quietly run with a mid-sole strike. I was able to run on dark wet stick-covered paths with no worries and my calves hurt the next day as though I had been running barefoot. I consider that to be a win.....

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've bitten the bullet and I now own a pair of Salomom XT Wings 2 trail runners. Shhhhhh...don't tell anyone. $249 RRP down to $99 because Salomom brought out a Wings 3 for 2012/13. I've just got back from the first run in them and they are so much easier and lighter to run in than the 5-Ten heavy duty day walking shoes I have been wearing.

    I tried a pair of the Innov8 195s on as well in the process and boy are they light. But I thought they were too 'barefoot' runner for me.

    ReplyDelete