Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Barefoot Southbank loop

I've been slowly building up my barefoot running distance, and last week I managed a 3.8 km run. So this week I thought I'd push it a bit further, break the 4 km barrier and loop across the river  - always a worrying thing to do as there's no easy way to shortcut back if things don't go well!

It turned out that I didn't need to worry as I felt pretty good. I've been refining my style to try to limit the work done by my calves and use my glutes & hammies instead and that seemed to pay off as I felt light on my feet, was enjoying the run and kept finding reasons to extend the distance. I managed just over 4.7 km in all, which I was very happy with, and even though I was trying to keep it slow & steady I still managed a 10.5km/hr average. Although I'm sore this morning...

Whilst I was out I saw posters advertising a Corporate 5km fun run next Thursday evening, with a possible 4,500 runners & walkers. What do you think - a good opportunity for my first barefoot 5km?

Incidentally I've been asked a few times why I run on tarmac & concrete instead of grass. You definitely get a sanded feeling on the soles of your feet when you run on artificial surfaces, but the shot below shows what you pick up from hanging out the washing on our apartment lawn. These are "bindi's", small caltrop-shaped thorns that embed themselves into whatever steps on them.

 
I'd prefer to take my chances on the tarmac....

1 comment:

  1. Mike - Yes, barefoot 5km on Thursday.....you know you want to.

    ReplyDelete