Sunday, May 16, 2010

Melbourne Skate - the preskates

Thought it was time that I talked about the Melbourne skate trip. It's been a month since we were down there and it's causing a bit of a mental block - I can't write about other things because I still need to put the Melbourne review up. So here we go.

Skate Melbourne is a bi-yearly skate trip put on by Planet Inline. This year around 15 skaters from Brisbane turned up to tour around Melbourne and it's suburbs. The paths are reasonably well known but to make sure the trips run smoothly someone needs to pre-skate each tour to make sure that no changes have been made. I was one of the marshalls / tour leaders for the trip which meant that I got to go down earlier and get some extra skating in.

I was posted out to WA for a few days with work just before the trip so I landed in Brisbane at 7pm on Wednesday evening and flew down to Melbourne on a 6am flight on Thursday morning. So I arrived in Victoria tired stiff and sick of sitting on planes. After some excellent coffee and a decent breakfast two of us pre-skated the Bay skate from Mordialloc to St Kilda and then on to the city (approx 35km). No pictures from this skate as my camera was still charging but the beautiful weather and fresh sea air did wonders in recharging my batteries.

The next day we pre-skated the Mitcham tour - from Mitcham to the city (approx 45km). This skate was a little longer and trickier than the Bay skate and had us both working hard by the end - maybe next time we should stop for something to eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment